Thursday, 31 December 2015

Starting out

So it seems as the years roll on I appear to be yearning for a simpler style of life, I guess somewhat akin to how my parents and their parents before them lived.  Growing your own veges, cooking from scratch, knitting, sewing and generally making do with what you have.  No easy feat for someone who loves clothes, shoes and all manner of new shiny items.

Without wanting to bang on about the environment and climate change too much, I have decided in an effort to reduce my impact on this planet that 2016 will be my year to take myself on a personal journey. My plan is to not buy any new clothes (I already have plenty), unless they are sustainably made, made by myself with an existing stash of fabric I own, or pre-loved vintage items that are ready to wear or can be modified.

I won't lie, it's gonna be tough, but I also see it as an interesting experiment into what I can produce and how strong I can be to say no to consumerism.  This is a one step approach at this stage but who knows it may just filter through to other aspects of my life, I certainly hope so.

To document my journey I plan to post a pic each day of the outfit I have put together from my wardrobe.  I will also post links to interesting websites I find for sustainable clothing and vintage shops I visit.

I haven't touched my sewing machine for a number of years now so sewing again is both a daunting and exciting prospect.  I will keep you up to date with items I attempt to make...

So here's Day 1 outfit - New Years Day 2016 - raining outside and just chillin at home with the family.

This tee shirt I've had for a year or more and worn maybe once. The pants are old comfy favourites made in NZ (I'm proud to say) by Thrift. Shoes are are Glassons slip ons.


No comments:

Post a Comment